Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Adventures in Television Production

Hey MDS'ers,

I joined the television production department at my church. (I think I
mentioned that before) Anyhoo, I'm learning to operate a movie camera.
It's so much fun and I feel like I'm actually part of the film
industry. I can't tell you how exhilarating it was when the director
said, "Camera One," (that's the camera I was operating) crawl in to the
girl in the red jacket...half body shot!" And I did it completely in
focus and everything. I'm so excited. Who'da thunk it! Last night was
my second week and this time I was on Camera Three which it ws the same
Sony camera but the angle was totally different and I didn't like
shooting from that direction as much as from where Camera one is set
up. They also have a stock pile of tapes that need to be edited so I
will be learning how to edit film in the upcoming months once I get the
camera stuff down. The director of production wants everyone to start
on cameras...those with camera experience move to the control room
activies etc. It's fun but it's not for everyone. One girl who
started with me has already quit.

The best part is that I ended up meeting an entertainment attorney and
a guy who has his own production company. I believe he's shooting
videos and commercials and is pursuing movies. We didn't have time to
talk but exchanged cards and will meet for dinner in the next week or
so.

The entertainment attorney mostly represents musicians and individuals
in the music industry, however, he is partnering with another attorney
who splits her time between here and France and is focused on the movie
industry. I may be going to France later in the year, so perhaps I
will meet her if she isn't coming to the states before then. Don't
know what good it will do if she's mostly repping international films
since that wasn't my intention but you never know. It all started
because I overheard the conversation between the attorney and the
producer...no, I wasn't eavesdropping! They were right behind me and
werne't exactly whispering. Later, I approached them separately, told
them I was a screenwriter blah blah blah. So, I'm setting dinner
meetings for later to find out if we can somehow help each other.

I'll keep you posted.

Tash

PS
I'll post any other interesting things that happen in the television
production gig and where it leads, who I meet etc. They did mention
something about a big convention where industry people go to sell shows
so I'd love to go to that...just to see how it all comes together.

No comments: